History of Cavite City, Province of Cavite, Philippines
Linked to a narrow strip of land, the name Cavite came from the Tagalog word "Kabit" which means joined or connected. Another story claims that Cavite came from the word "Kalawit" of "hook" because it is shaped like a hook.
The city is believed to have been a part of the municipality of Kawit. The place that is now called Cavite City used to be the trading center for the natives and chinese merchants as early as 932 A.D. due to its strategic position and extensive coastline.
Cavite City was called "Puerto de Cavite" (Port of Cavite)", during the early part of the Spanish rule, being a port of entry and departure for Spanish and foreign ships. The most significant event in Cavite City's history was the execution of three Filipino priests -Mariano Gomez, Jose Burgos, and Jacinto Zamora after having been falsely implicated in the Cavite Mutiny of January 20, 1872.
The area was utilized, in 1898. as a naval base by the US Naval Forces supervised by Americans while the region was governed by Filipino "Presidente Municipales". The Philippe Commission united the three pueblos of Cavite Puerto, San Roque and Caridad, in 1903, to create the Municipality of Cavite. The area was further enlarged to include the district of San Antonio and the island of Corregidor.
Cavite bacame the capital of the province by an act of the First Philippine Assembly. Congress subsequently, passed, in 1945, Republic Act No. 981 transferring the provincial capital to Trece Martires City.
The municipality of Cavite was converted into a chartedred city by virtue of Commonwealth Act No. 547 of 1990.